Friday, 5 July 2013

The Linda

Aaaaand...I'm back!


The initial planting and weeding of our garden is basically complete, so now I have a bit more time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labour. Well, not literally...I don't think I'll get much of a show out of my fruit and/or vegetables this year, but regardless, the insane rush is over.

I spent every free moment from mid-May through the end of June outside. It was wonderful, but I'm ready to take a break.

I finally got back into the kitchen after weeks and weeks of avoidance, and lo and behold, I can still put together a tasty concoction!

This phenomenal smoothie recipe came together at just the perfect time.

Why, you ask? There are five reasons:


1. Today is July 5, which also happens to be my mother-in-law's birthday! I've known Linda for more than ten years and in that time we've grown from strangers to allies, friends and family. She's such an amazing woman.

2. Linda has a particular affection for mango, as do I. I'm pretty sure I ate the equivalent of my body weight in mango in the Philippines. Just thinking about mango makes my mouth water. Mango, mango, mango! It's the perfect summer fruit.

3. Last month I made the decision to eliminate all forms of sugar except from fruit. It's been *really* hard at times, but soooo worth it. I no longer have headaches, drastic mood swings or irritability. Unfortunately sugar is in absolutely everything these days, so it's also been quite a challenge. Anyway, Linda is a big dessert fan, so this smoothie is a great example of how delicious sweet food can be without added sugar.

4. It's a great confidence booster to throw together a few simple ingredients and come out with a fantastic new recipe. I was feeling a little low for a while; I didn't have the time or energy to put together recipes after 10 hour days at my regular job plus time in the garden. This lovely, simple smoothie has helped me appreciate my skills and encourages me to nurture them whenever possible.

5. I have to thank Linda for giving me the push I so desperately needed to get back into the kitchen. A week ago she sent me a message saying, "Are you still posting blog info because I have not seen any for maybe a couple of weeks?" That woke me from my gardening-fueled daze and I realized just how long it's been since I shared anything! A birthday sounds like a great time to start again, doesn't it?

Happy birthday, Linda!!

The Linda


Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes about 8 ounces


Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup frozen banana
3/4 cup baby kale (Earthbound Farm Organic Mixed Baby Kales)
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/4 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries & blackberries)
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tsp. vanilla


Directions:

1. Blend and sing "Happy Birthday, dear Linda" five times, or until completely smooth.