Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Sriracha White Bean Dip

So let's imagine you've read through my previous post about cooking dried beans (I hope you have!) and you went ahead and made a big ol' pot of white kidney beans.

Now you're looking at it and wondering "What am I going to do with all these beans?".

Well, funny you should ask...

This is a fantastic five minute bean dip that pairs perfectly with raw vegetables, pitas, crackers, tortilla chips and burgers. It's supremely flavourful thanks to sriracha sauce, sesame, garlic and lime.

For anyone unfamiliar with sriracha, it is a low to medium spicy chili sauce used primarily in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. Its Scoville ranking is between 1,000 and 2,500, which puts sriracha sauce somewhere spicier than a banana pepper but not as spicy as a jalapeno pepper. The most popular North American variety is made by a Chinese-Vietnamese company called Huy Fong. You may recognize it by its distinctively large squeeze bottle and green cap, and is also known as rooster sauce based on the company logo.

I love sriracha sauce, and I'm obviously not alone. It is an unwritten rule in my house to double or triple this recipe, and even with such a huge quantity the dip never lasts very long. I've often found myself digging right in with a spoon, and whenever I cook white beans my husband's eyes light up and he asks, "Are you making the spicy bean dip?!"

That's a pretty clear indication of a winning recipe.


Sriracha White Bean Dip

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes about 2 cups


Ingredients:

2 cups white kidney beans
1-2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. soy sauce (Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
2 Tbsp. hot sauce (Sriracha)
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. lime juice


Directions:

1. Add everything into a food processor and blend until smooth

This is really amazing stuff.


P.S. A quickie post about home-made sriracha will be available soon!


Inspiration: White on Rice Couple